Stunning Display of Sixteen Badges on elaborate wooden plaque entitled "Police Badges of The White House. Washington, D.C - 1997. Sixteen original badges are mounted on an inch thick, badge-shaped, wooden plaque measuring 20" x 26". An image of the South Portico of the White House is engraved at the top of a 6.5” x 6.5” metallic plate mounted in the top center on the plaque. Each badge is in very fine condition.
The large shiny display plaque (which is difficult to photograph) at the top says “POLICE BADGES OF THE WHITE HOUSE,” with the following engraving: “The White House Police Force was created by an act of Congress at the request of President Warren G. Harding. It became operational on October 1, 1922, with a total of 33 Officers. These officers were furnished by the Metropolitan Police of the District of Columbia and the United States Park Police. Over the years the Force has grown in size and mandated responsibilities. The name of the organization has undergone two changes: ‘Executive Protection Service’ in March, 1970, and the ‘United States Secret Service Uniformed Division’ in November 1977“.
The badges displayed on this plaque constitute a set of official, commemorative, and inaugural badges authorized and proudly worn with distinction and honor by members of the Force and are ‘Official’ badges worn since 1922. Commemorative badges have been issued to honor the American Bicentennial, the White House Bicentennial, the 75th Anniversary of the White House Police Force, and every Presidential Inaugural since 1981.” The plaque was also engraved, at a later date, “Circa 1997” – the 1981 and 1985 Reagan, 1989 Bush, and 1993 and 1997 Clinton inaugural badges are included. Eight representative badges encircle the metallic plate. The badge at top center, with no identifying plaque, is the one worn by officers of the “U.S. Secret Service / Uniformed Division” since 1978. The three commemorative badges identified above, titled “Anniversary Badges,” are displayed beneath the eight badges. At the lower edge of the wooden plaque are the five “Inaugural Badges.”
At the request of President Harding, the White House Police Force was created in 1922 and, in 1930, it was placed under the supervision of the Secret Service. In 1970, the White House Police Force was renamed the Executive Protective Service and, in 1978, the U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division.
Exquisite collectible and decorative plaque that truly makes a statement.